login info join!
Forums > Published vs. Self-Published > Pubbed or Self Pubbed

New Topic|Reply

Author
Gwen D. Steel
I am self published, and I like it, but the amount of work to even get an audience is really time consuming. I am hopeful, for all those who DO read my stories love them....as long as they aren't lying to me? LOL
2012 Apr 22 07:04:29 pm | Quote

Promoter
Belle Consulting
Quote:

(continued from last) For example, at BlushingBooks.com, which is one of the companies I work for, you can get a huge cut of the profit for signing on with us (FAR greater than 50%) and you don't have to do anything. You write the book and send us a non-formatted, but great story. We take that, format it for you, make a professional cover, and we put it on a dedicated market to sell it with dedicated customers on our site, and we publish it for you through all the third party sales.And we're not alone. Lots of publishers will do the same thing for you--it's nice because you don't have to worry about marketing, you worry about writing and you cash your check every quarter. It's that easy.

Very interesting. I call this Indie Publishing. Others have described it as such too. I do this plus self pubbing.

2012 Apr 23 12:04:58 pm | Quote

Promoter
Belle Consulting
How are ya'll doing?

My name is Bri Clark. I'm an author and literary strategist. I'm indie and self pubbed. However, I aspire to be traditionally published as well. Reason being traditional publishers have the ability to reach markets I can't and I can reach markets they can't.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm querying agents. No way! I'm working on my back list and building my online platform. If there is one thing a publisher requires it's a profitable product. Any manuscript can be edited, a great cover artist can be employed, but an author with a strong online platform is like a lottery ticket with fantastic odds.
2012 Apr 23 12:04:24 pm | Quote

Author
Dee Gibbens

I looked into self-pub, but it was too expensive!!!

2012 Apr 29 07:04:17 pm | Quote

RNC Administrator
Cover Model Jimmy Thomas
What about self-pubbing did you find expensive Dee? Hiring your own cover artist? Hiring your own editor?
2012 Apr 30 12:04:04 pm | Quote

Author
Nadja Notariani

Quote:
What about self-pubbing did you find expensive Dee? Hiring your own cover artist? Hiring your own editor?

In response to Dee (Hi, there)! 

I have now self-published three novels, and it really is learning on the job.  I enjoy new challenges and thrive on gaining 'know-how'.  If you are that type of person, you'll excel in the self-published world.  Yes, at times I have been frustrated, or confused, even bewildered!  But - in each case, I solved the problem through trial and error, Google (Oh!  You are so All-Knowing my lovely Google!), or by asking a more experienced author for help. 

Publishing my own work has not been overly expensive.  The major cost I incur is having my cover designed, not unreasonable at all!  If you decide to hire an editor, there are no lack of English majors looking for indie work.  That being said, I can't speak for other authors, who may be utilizing more/other marketing ideas and such that do cost more money.  Some smaller costs I have encountered are: gifting my books (but also applies to marketing strategy), Online Book Tours, and various groups/sites that may or may not charge a fee.  In the end, I'd say don't let fear of costs be your deciding factor in selecting the avenue you'll pursue in your publishing journey, Dee.  Decide how much you want to control/manage your book, cover, marketing, and sales. 

2012 May 07 04:05:44 am | Quote

Author
Dee Gibbens

Quote:

The amount of money you have to invest at the onset is WAY out of my ballpark; plus I don't have the time to invest in doing all my own footwork.  $2500 was the minumum and you didn't get much for the bucks.  I have two friends who self-pub'ed and they both lost money on the deals.  You have to have a base and if you don't sell at least 100 books at the git-go you've just flushed a lot of money down the perverbial toilet.  I'd rather go through an agent who does all the footwork.

2012 May 07 09:05:38 pm | Quote

RNC Administrator
Cover Model Jimmy Thomas

$2500? Is that a total from one quote from each profession you needed something from (editor, cover artist)? Or did you get many, many quotes from many different people in each profession needed to self-pub your book? ;) You can't go by two people's downfall stories. Have you read this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/novel-rejected-theres-an-e-book-gold-rush/2011/04/09/AFZdqb9F_story.html
Read the entire thing, trust me, your chin will drop!

The pessimist would follow what the two who failed say, while the optimist would follow what the winners say ;)

Tell me this, before I was in this industry, who would've thunk a male model could get himself on close to 3000 covers in just a few years... BY HIMSELF, no agent, no manager.

Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger at age 18 competing in bodybuilding competitions ever imagined himself being the Governor of California, never mind one of the top action hero movie stars of all time?

Do you think Obama thought while growing up that he actually had even a remote chance of being President of the United States?

Let me paste a few of my favorite quotes in here and see how they apply to making things happen for yourself that you WANT to happen:

"Don't think you are, know you are" - Laurence Fishburne, The Matrix
"One who lacks courage to start has already finished" - Unknown Author
"Nothing is real unless you believe in who you are" - Sylvester Stallone, Rocky III
"It's not how many people you know, it's how many people know you." - Jimmy Thomas
"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always be what you've always been." - T.J. Jakes
"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will learn." - Chinese proverb
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." - Paolo Coelho, The Alchemist
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"It's the magic of risking everything for a dream that nobody sees but you" - Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

2012 May 07 11:05:21 pm | Quote

Author
Dee Gibbens
Quote:

$2500? Is that a total from one quote from each profession you needed something from (editor, cover artist)? Or did you get many, many quotes from many different people in each profession needed to self-pub your book? ;) You can't go by two people's downfall stories. Have you read this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/novel-rejected-theres-an-e-book-gold-rush/2011/04/09/AFZdqb9F_story.html
Read the entire thing, trust me, your chin will drop!

The pessimist would follow what the two who failed say, while the optimist would follow what the winners say ;)

Tell me this, before I was in this industry, who would've thunk a male model could get himself on close to 3000 covers in just a few years... BY HIMSELF, no agent, no manager.

Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger at age 18 competing in bodybuilding competitions ever imagined himself being the Governor of California, never mind one of the top action hero movie stars of all time?

Do you think Obama thought while growing up that he actually had even a remote chance of being President of the United States?

Let me paste a few of my favorite quotes in here and see how they apply to making things happen for yourself that you WANT to happen:

"Don't think you are, know you are" - Laurence Fishburne, The Matrix
"One who lacks courage to start has already finished" - Unknown Author
"Nothing is real unless you believe in who you are" - Sylvester Stallone, Rocky III
"It's not how many people you know, it's how many people know you." - Jimmy Thomas
"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always be what you've always been." - T.J. Jakes
"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will learn." - Chinese proverb
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." - Paolo Coelho, The Alchemist
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"It's the magic of risking everything for a dream that nobody sees but you" - Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

To be quite honest, Jimmy...when I saw that as a "starting" cost (not including (editor, cover artist, etc) I about choked (shows you unknowledgeable I am on the business).  Of course, I showed it to hubby and he basically said "no, but hell no".  Since we are both retired (he has a part time job to suplement) we just can't justify that kind of money on a gamble.  Maybe we have too much of our daddies in us: mine came up during the Great Depression, so go figure!  It was about 6mos ago that I looked at this option (before I acquired an agent at a conference in March) and if I remember correctly, it was through Writer's Digest.  The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that self-pub is NOT an option for me.  I need the professional guidence that Scott will give me.  I'm hoping to hear from him soon as to whether or not he will take on my 1st (completed last month) and move on to the 2nd that I'm writing now.  Other than "just writing while I wait", that's where I am now.

("It's not how many people you know, it's how many people know you." - Jimmy Thomas) 

I like that.  I'll have to use that on my brother sometime.  LOL!!

2012 May 08 03:05:07 pm | Quote

RNC Administrator
Cover Model Jimmy Thomas
Quote:
Quote:

"To be quite honest, Jimmy...when I saw that as a "starting" cost (not including (editor, cover artist, etc) I about choked (shows you unknowledgeable I am on the business)."

"It was about 6mos ago that I looked at this option (before I acquired an agent at a conference in March) and if I remember correctly, it was through Writer's Digest."

Just because you read an estimate cost in Writer's Digest, that doesn't make it an overall fact. Self-pubbing can cost anything from $0 to unlimited. It's not like you have to pay a $2500 club fee to be a self-pubbing author, so there are no start-up costs. For example, if you were an author, an editor and a cover artist, then all you have to do is upload your book(s) and you're done. That is without any advertising, marketing or networking, which all those things could be free as well. So the start-up costs start at $0.

The #1 cost is an editor, and you can search for one on RNC, read their profiles, see the authors they've edited for, get references from those authors, see their fees, etc. So as you see, that cost is up to you, your choice.

Next is getting a great cover, created by a professional cover artist. Again, you can look for one on RNC, viewing their profiles, the covers they've designed, their rates they charge, etc. So again, the cost for that is up to you as you are the one choosing who you want to make your cover.

You can then either learn how to format your book properly for the website you are uploading it to for sale on, or ask a friend who has done it already to help you with it, or by paying someone to do that for you, again with a search on RNC for a Book Designer.

Then you upload your book and it is now for sale. The rest is all in the marketing, networking and advertising you do online and/or offline, which again is up to you.

Many don't want to do all the self-marketing, networking and advertising themselves. They aren't computer or internet savvy, they don't have the time, etc., so in that case you may be better off going with a publisher as they will do all that stuff for you. But if your reasoning is only because you don't want to pay $2500, then you are able to self-pub yourself as I just explained   Do you really think EVERY self-pubbing author you see on here and everywhere else all paid $2500 per book they have self-published??? ;)

2012 May 09 12:05:14 am | Quote

© 1998 - 2017 romancenovelcenter.com All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy | Lost password? | Contact