login info join!
Forums > Published vs. Self-Published > Pubbed or Self Pubbed

New Topic|Reply

Publisher
MuseItUp Publishing
I may be a publisher, but I'm a big advocate to those who prefer going the self-published route. There's nothing wrong with that...here's a few pointers:

1- make sure your manuscript is edited thoroughly because your story represents the quality you offer as an author to your readers. It's the first impression they'll have of you and you want it to be exceptional.

2- don't rush. When you think your book is ready to go, put it aside for a spell and go back to it. You will be surprised to see new edits and things you missed the previous few drafts. Then again, when is a book ever ready to go. We can always find things to edit. Make sure it goes through several beta testers/critique groups/partners.

3- prepare your promotional/marketing plan once your book is finished. It doesn't have to be published to begin a buzz.

4- reiterating once again that you need to have all your i's and t's crossed...a thoroughly edited book your readers will love and recommend to others.

5- as many wrote, a cover is the first enticement to a reader to grab their interest. Make sure it's one that represents your book and one you will be proud of.

Lea Schizas
https://museituppublishing.com
2012 Apr 07 07:04:03 pm | Quote

Author
christina tetreault

Hi everyone

2012 Apr 09 12:04:36 pm | Quote

Author
Tori Scott
I went with an epub for my first book. Never again. Self-publishing all the way from here on out.

Tori Scott
2012 Apr 09 02:04:16 pm | Quote

Author
Jewel Adams
Quote:
I may be a publisher, but I'm a big advocate to those who prefer going the self-published route. There's nothing wrong with that...here's a few pointers:

1- make sure your manuscript is edited thoroughly because your story represents the quality you offer as an author to your readers. It's the first impression they'll have of you and you want it to be exceptional.

2- don't rush. When you think your book is ready to go, put it aside for a spell and go back to it. You will be surprised to see new edits and things you missed the previous few drafts. Then again, when is a book ever ready to go. We can always find things to edit. Make sure it goes through several beta testers/critique groups/partners.

3- prepare your promotional/marketing plan once your book is finished. It doesn't have to be published to begin a buzz.

4- reiterating once again that you need to have all your i's and t's crossed...a thoroughly edited book your readers will love and recommend to others.

5- as many wrote, a cover is the first enticement to a reader to grab their interest. Make sure it's one that represents your book and one you will be proud of.

Lea Schizas
Very good advice Lea, thank you.

2012 Apr 11 07:04:21 am | Quote

Author
Valerie Douglas
Hi, My name is Valerie Douglas and I've been both traditionally published and self-published. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For those who are interested in self-publishing though, there are a LOT of resources on places like Facebook to help you either make the decision, or get you started. Indie Author Group (my group), Indies Unlimited, Indies United, etc., will all be more than glad to help assist - and they cost you nothing.
2012 Apr 12 05:04:04 am | Quote

Author
Gwen D. Steel
Hi,

I am G.D. Steel (Gwen)

I have to say, I knew beforehand that I would need to do a lot of work as a self-published author, but I am still shocked at how MUCH it is, and I haven't even delved into the real marketing techniques of Press Releases, Blog tours, Signings, Radio announcement...ah and the list goes on...

I spend at least 2-5 hours a day on the computer just trying to keep up with the avalanche of emails, FB forums, other third party sellers (AuthorsDen, Goodreads,BookRix,etc..)

I wish I had an intern, but I would still use self pub as my first choice for publishing.
2012 Apr 15 06:04:45 pm | Quote

Author
RGPorter
I have been with small epubs in the past and am now an indie and have to say I am excited to be doing all my own work. It's hard, but very much worth it. I never understood what went into getting a book live nor how much time is involved, but in the end, I can see what I've done and know I've given it my all.
2012 Apr 16 03:04:56 pm | Quote

Author
Mel Comley
Excellent advice Lea. We're all eager to get our new baby out there but need to take a step back and ensure everything is perfect before launch day, not after.
2012 Apr 17 04:04:43 am | Quote

Author
Stephanie Williams

Quote:

Lea Schizas

2012 Apr 17 11:04:40 am | Quote

Author
Stephanie Williams

Okay that didn't' post. LOL!

Anyway, great advice Lea! Thanks so much.

2012 Apr 17 11:04:58 am | Quote

© 1998 - 2017 romancenovelcenter.com All Rights Reserved.

Terms | Privacy | Lost password? | Contact